Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Day in the Sun


One summer when I was six, I was at a day camp near the beach club we sometimes went to. I really didn't like the camp, but hey, I was six, and didn't have much of a choice.

Anyway, one day we were playing softball. I was the 2nd baseman. Not being much interested in the game, I remember standing in the field, staring at the sky, feeling the awe of the sun and the clouds. Suddenly a whoosh went by my head as the ball whizzed past me. My inattention allowed the batter to get a triple out of it. The first basemen (remember we were six), came storming over and punched me hard in the shoulder while calling me an asshole.

It hurt, and I did kind of deserve it. I actually thought "yeah I guess I was an asshole. I kinda let the team down". Still I continued to stare at the sky and enjoyed a day in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment